Tuesday, October 27, 2009

katakana Analysis

One of the words I found on a train map from a tour guide I obtained from Narita Airport. For those of you who don't know Narita Airport is the international airport close to Tokyo. In the guide there was a map of the rail system(specifically the JR railways). In the map I noticed the katakana expression: エクスプレス (Express). I know there is a hiragana expression for express train so I believe it was written in katakana for emphasis.

The second Katakana expression cam from Tokyo Girls Collection magizine that features new clothing lines. The expression was フイナーレステージーアフターパーテイ (Final Stage After-party). I believe this was in katakana because the expression is likely foreign and it probably appeals to the younger hip crowed.

Katakana is described differently in several textbooks however all of them seem to state that it is used for borrowed words which originated from outside of Japan. Other Textbooks then go on to describe katakanas use in expressing emphasis, or onomatopeias. I believe the only reason that the books description are different because some authors like to keep it simple and stick to the all important borrowed word description while others are trying to explain more of the all around culture associated with Katakana which includes the other reasons it is used in place of hiragana.

9 comments:

サイモン said...

I think you're right in saying that authors often have different interpretations of where katakana is used because they feel differently about what someone learning japanese needs to know from the start. When you're learning 3 new writing systems, it helps to compartmentalize i.e. Katakana are used for loan words and a few other things. We may find out that there are many special cases but it would probably just add to the confusion now, so the authors either hint at them or omit them.

I also think it's hard to decide from a non-native perspective why exactly a katakana word is used in some situations. The Narita Airport example is a good one. We know there's a native word for express (とっきゅう), so we wonder why katakana was used. It's hard to judge the motivations of whoever wrote the sign. Was it done for emphasis? Why did it need emphasizing? There's a lot of nuance that I'm sure we will become aware of later, and plenty that we will always miss completely

Stephen said...

I agree with your rational using katakana in your examples. Though it pains me to think that the youth of Japan, and Japan itself, are moving towards more American/foreign phrases and culture.

And I'm with you about why katakana is described differently, as well. When teaching a new language, a text book would probably want to keep things simple, but as you progress you eventually need to learn the full scope of things. As for katakana, it's easy to categorize it as being used for just foreign/load words, but very difficult to tell when is the proper time to use it for other occasions, like emphasis of Japanese words in texts like newspapers or signs.

Man, you and Simon have both been to Japan before, I'm so jealous. ;p

Anonymous said...

The express trains are usually translated as “特急,” and I think エクスプレスis preferred when you want to emphasize the state-of-the-art technique and/or design used in the train cars. Thus, I would expect more than average in everything when I ride 成田エクスプレス.

Asuka said...

Hello.I'm Asuka.
I'm Bunkyo University student in Japan.
Your opinion is very good!
We use Katakana when we want to emphasis or the word come from foreign words and onomatopeia.
And we sometimes use Katakana when we focus on pronunciation.

I'm sorry I'm not good at English.
So, it's difficult to explain it in English.

I hope my opinion help you.

Keir said...

Hey Asuka,
Don't worry about it as we are both in the same shoes on the opposite side of the world.
Besides your English is great.

Keir said...

Hey Aki,
thanks for the extra background, I would not have thought about the katakana uses as indicating that the trains themselves should be special.

Thanks for the info.

Asuka said...

Thank you for your response.
I study English for my future.
If you find my mistake,please tell me.
By the way,I saw your pictures.
It's beautiful!
I want to go there.

lemonsticks said...

こにちわ!
Sorry I didn't respond to your questions earlier but it's better late than never right? Aha.

ミシゲンダのなかにエバ アンド ブシタ があります。ダエバ アンド ブシタ はたのしいです。
私葉のりょうからわたしのりょしんのうちまでくらまでさんじかんかかります。

The book I use just explains katakana as words that are borrowed from other languages...mostly English. I guess they just use the simplest way to teach it to us, aha.

Mysterious Moo said...

はじめまして わたしの ノートロダムだいがくのリーです。どうぞよろしく。わたしは かんこくじんえです。You seem to really like Japanese. にほんごは おもしろいですね!